Saturday, August 22, 2015

It All Comes Around

Years ago, when I worked for a school age day care, I had gone to some trouble to organize an activity around investigating their family history. One young man scathingly responded, "Those people are dead. Why do I care about this?"  I remember struggling to articulate the connection and curiosity I feel about my ancestors. Why do I care?  

My son, Bill, came to visit today and brought his children with him. We spent hours chatting about children, schools, computers, pickles, and egg cake (go figure) but finally came around to sharing some of the photos I gathered in my travels.  I was struck anew at how often we said "Look how much he/she looks like . . ." and "I remember when we . . ."  We noted that my grand daughter has the same crooked smile found on the faces of 2 of her grandmothers.  My father's elementary school class pictures proved that the mid-forehead hair swoop found on my own head and that of all of my children was my dad's hair swoop first.  

And, most tellingly, a draw toward creativity/artistry runs strongly through our lineage.  My father is an artist, his mother and her sister were artists. Whether that desire toward creativity comes from each generation sharing their own interests with the next or from a genetic predisposition, I believe there is undeniably a genetic componenet to true talent such as my Grandmother and her sister passed along to my father and he passed it to his son, my brother.   
The point is, as the love comes back around and one generation spends that precious time with the next, we pass along that which we love.  A visit to my Grandfather Jensen's house would have meant a fish fry and time in the garden.  That was what he loved.  A visit to my father's house for my children would have meant paint or clay or drawing tools were likely to make an appearance.
Today, when my grandchildren came to visit my first thought was for us to create something (I'm not an artist)  We made a fairy garden!  I was reminded of the art projects my Grandmother Va and I had created at this lovely glass table - this table that was passed down to my father, just like that love of creating beautiful things.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the fairy garden!