Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Pioneer Trek Day 7, 8 & 9

Saturday!! Day 7
Well, my Dad was a really good sport about this whole mission I am on. Of course I started talking about pictures/stories as soon as I arrived on Friday night - while he was trying to feed me.  He kinda flapped his hands a little and I could see he had his reservations about this project but he rallied and dragged out a lovely pile of treasures. I've posted a few interesting pics that I will not explain at this point - "Keep 'em guessing" is my motto.  I got so excited that my eyes popped open at 4:30 AM and I started scanning photos. 

Dad and Diane pushed food and drink at me at regular intervals.  They were a great tag team for identifying faces, places, and stories.  My father shared many interesting things about himself and his parents and grandparents.  In the meantime they pretty much waited on me hand and foot.  I managed to scan more than 500 photos by noon. 

Then we went to lunch at Chuck-a-Rama.That was a lot of fun.  We yacked and people watched and I ate too much.  ;-)
 Somewhere in there I also managed to get my laundry done - Thank you kindly parents.  And, no I didn't let my mom do my laundry even though she offered. I'd have to give back my grown-up card!

Sunday, Day 8.
I went to church with longtime (seems almost a lifetime) friend, Sue Brown.  Sue and her husband Mike have been the kinds of friends who pick up where you left off even when you haven't had contact for years.  We occasionally "meet" on facebook but that is minimal.  We had a lot of catching up to do and being able to attend church and meet the people who are a part of her life was a great way to do that.  On the spiritual side of things I need to note that I had 2 purposes when I set out on my Trek.  The first was to gather family history, connect with my ancestors, and reconnect with family and friends after finding myself disconnected through distance and laziness.  Then the second purpose was to heal my bruised soul after having a very difficult winter.  At this point I can't remember the specific talks or lessons (except the Relief Society lesson but that is a blog entry for another day) but I do remember the calm feeling of belonging and acceptance.  Both of these emotions have been battered by circumstance and neglect over recent years.  It was indeed a healing balm - thanks Sue (and Sue's Ward).

Monday, Day 9
 




Monday morning I headed for Wendover. 

I took a few pictures - and if a picture is worth a thousand words you don't need anymore of mine.

Lunch at someplace the locals refer to as the "Metro" it was actually named something else but the food was amazing and the company better.




 Next we went back to the Draper's house for cake, courtesy of Jessie's talents.


Happy Birthday Sara!

 While the kids ate Smurf cake and watched some cartoons the adults went through photographs.  Of course I didn't take photos of the photo perusal but I think I should have.  It was a little like Christmas.  Everyone sitting around with their own little pile of treasures saying "Oh look!  What do you suppose that was about?  Do you remember this?" and "Wow! I didn't know that!"




After going through the pictures I drove to Rush Valley to see Aunt Carol and Uncle Darrell.

But that's a story for another day.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words and I feel the same about you, Jan. You are my forever friend. It was so much fun catching up. We were two proud mommas talking about our kids, remembering the times they were little and all their accomplishments now that they aren't so little. We laughed and we cried, just like old times. Just had to do it all in a few hours. That was the really sad part. I am glad that I could help a little with finding out about your ancestors with Relative Finder. Have you shared your discoveries of notable ancestors with your family?

memories by Jan said...

Yes, I have shown relative finder to everybody! Thanks for that gem as well.