Friday, July 31, 2015

My Pioneer Trek Day 11 and 12


 

Beautiful Lake Tahoe!
I set out Wednesday morning headed for Lake Tahoe, the place I refer to when asked where I grew up.  It isn't completely accurate but that's a better answer than "Oh, around"

Sonoma Height Elementary School

Since this report has been chronological thus far, however, I won't get ahead of myself.  I will admit that a drive across Nevada is not exactly the height of adventure.  At least not for me, I did stop in Winnemucca though.  Two of my 3 children were born while we lived in Winnemucca and I couldn't resist driving around to see what I could remember and what was still standing, etc.  It made me feel a little sad, though I'm not sure why.  First, of course, I looked up the house we lived in.  It is easy to find.  It is on the corner of Bell and Harmony - a musical address.  I didn't take a picture.  It was painted a truly horrendous color of green, obviously a DIY job.  The paint job was awful and there were several motorcycles and broken vehicles parked outside.  AND the yard was beyond dead.  I laid the sod in that yard myself.  I drove my sedan out to the sod farm and loaded up as much as the shocks would bear into my trunk, drove to my house, unloaded the sod and then went back for more until I had enough to cover the yard. Then the kids and I laid the sod down.  My husband was on a fishing trip.  He came home to a transformed yard. It is a very small, old house and I didn't really expect it to be a showplace but I really didn't want to preserve a picture of what it looks like now.  Pictured are some of our old haunts.  Anna and Brenda went to Sonoma Heights Elementary School.  Anna had a memorable birthday party at Round Table Pizza.  Brenda had a particularly memorable birthday party at the city park across from the house on Bell street but it was a golf course right next to the expanded hospital.  Guess doctors in Winnemucca don't have enough to do.
Most of our grocery shopping was at Raley's.  From the outside it looks just the same to me.  The pharmacy looks nearly exactly but they now have an in store cafe which I'm sure did not exist!



 For "emergency" needs and for the best chorizos you've ever eaten we went to Uptown market - one block away from home.  The owners were friends of ours but I didn't go in.  I can't remember their names right now and I'm not assertive enough to risk it. 

 From there I headed for Lake Tahoe.  The drive was uneventful, except gas in Reno was a shocker - a dollar more than I paid in Minnesota!  Here is a current picture of the High School I attended.  It is bigger than it was ;-)  I graduated in a class of 27.  We had 300 students in the Junior High and High School combined.
Day 12 - Billy hauled out pictures and I started scanning.  Mom talked and we reminisced.  It was really fun.  Tina is hard at work arranging flowers but Billy (my brother) worked extra hours so he could be off work while I am here.  I feel so loved!!

Pictured here is my sister Brenda and baby brother Billy.  circa 1965

No comments: