Sunday, January 31, 2010

Church Today

I had a great time at church today. Usually by the time I get home my head gets so full of "what comes next" that I can't remember what the talks were about. Today, I remember some specific impressions. Sister Howell (sp?) made a specific point that we "keep the Lord's commandments" with exactness" Her words made me take stock of my own apathy. I go through the motions but there is no "fire" in my testimony right now. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is Christ's church with all the keys of the priesthood restored. I know that I, like all God's children, am entitled to personal revelation. It's not that I'm doing anything particularly wrong but watching Sister Howell's impassioned speech lit a little fire under my own testimony, I hope I can fan the flames this week. Next was the sweet feeling of the spirit that attended the talk given in Primary. The speaker was 4 years old and I was struck at the incredible wisdom of having the many jobs that need to be performed in our church community done by "laypeople". Here was this sweet 4 year old girl learning how to speak in front of a group. Nearly from the time our children can speak we begin to develop the skill to stand up before others and share God's word, by the spirit of the Lord. While this little girl was speaking a room full of children were also learning to listen both to their peer and to the spirit who would speak through her. We learn from the Book of Mormon (1 Neph 3:7) that "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them" Most active members in the church have held a variety of callings (jobs). I've had a family member of mine refer to our leadership as "a joke" because they are not "trained" but over the years I've come to understand just how sweet and wise it is that our bishops are not always "polished" and have rote methods by which to serve. We all have to rely on the Lord to "prepare the way" and we learn and grow so much more in the process. My service in the church is the greatest training I've ever had over and above the university level courses I took to prepare me for my career. I do what I do because I was called to it by the Lord and the most useful training I've had I received in Primary, Young Womens, Relief Society, and Sunday School.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Very well put... I would say that is a very strong testimony with a definte flame burning in it, under it and around it!