Friday, April 30, 2010

Talent Show

Madison had its talent show last night and of course the school was able to see the show during the afternoon.  Second grade Janie (not her name) stood in front of 500 students and 60 plus adults dressed in her Little Orphan Annie dress.  Her mother had to hold her up but she belted out "Tomorrow".  She knew every word.  Her audience cheered and her teachers wept.  Janie attends Madison in the centerbase program.  She has Downs Syndrome and is Severely Multiply Impaired.  Sure, her performance wasn't ready for "American Idol" but I was far more entertained than I've ever been watching that program.  There was an amazing range of talent in our little school.  What a lovely memory.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Your writing gave me a great mental picture and I know I would have cried too! I sure do miss subbing in the Special Education programs... someday, someday, I will sub again.

memories by Jan said...

Everything in it's season. You're caring for the right children right now.