Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bears

First, thanks for the encouragement in the face of last week's post. I slept a lot this weekend and am feeling better. I've taken up a new hobby - well sort of. Actually I've found an excuse to make time in my schedule to do one of my favorite things - sew. Last spring one of my students lost her uncle to cancer. Her family was looking for someone to make some grief bears for the family and asked if I would be interested (for a fee of course). A grief bear is a bear made from the clothing of someone who has passed away. I let the offer go all summer and didn't hear from them so I figured they had found someone else to make the bears. When school started they contacted me at school. It turned out that my student didn't know my whole last name (a lot of the kids call me Mrs. O) and they had lost my number and, by the way, how soon could I make 6 bears? I had so much fun making these bears and knowing as I did that it would be a healthy remembrance of their loved one. They loved the bears and ordered 2 more. Then as the bears were sitting in my office one of the teachers at the school whose brother passed away over the summer saw them and ordered some bears for her family. My tender heart wants to offer to do the bears for free, but I know I have to place a value on my time as well. Maybe the whole thing is a little morbid, but I know how much it can mean to have a piece of clothing from someone you lost. A bear isn't going to wear out. The school social worker wants me to advertise but I'm afraid. It's like the cake decorating I do. It is worth it to me to do for friends but if I have more business than I can do comfortably then it isn't fun anymore.

6 comments:

Andie said...

Those are the sweetest things! I hadn't heard of those before but what a wonderful idea. They turned out great!

shantel said...

Jan that brings tears to my eyes. I know that in the past when a family member passed it was so hard when they finally boxed up all their stuff and gave it to good will. This way the have a piece of their clothing and a keepsake!

Serena said...

The bears look great. You always amaze me at how much you do. You are such a great example.

Nicole said...

I feel the same about having to charge for the bears. I would want to give them away free too. It's great that you can do something you love and bless people's lives at the same time.

Amorie said...

Jan!

This will be unrelated to bears... but I wanted to say hello. It has been many years since I last talked with you. From reading our blog it looks like you are doing great.

I think of you guys often and turning 30 this month and made me want to talk to Anna. I called the last number I had for her, but ti was disconnected and I have searched around the Internet to try to find her, but didn't have any luck.

How is everyone? I don't really even know where to start with the questions with how long it has been. I was sad there isn't a picture of your family on your blog.

I don't know how these blogs work and I've never posted on one, but I just had to say hello once I was sure it was you.

I hope all is well!

Amorie

memories by Jan said...

Whoa Amorie!
What a shock. I'd love to talk. Anna's doing really well but her phone # is unlisted so, for obvious reasons, I don't want to publish it here. Happy 30th! You didn't leave me an e-mail or anything so I hope you are monitoring this so you get mine. joelkers@yahoo.com pretty self exlanatory. I considered making my blog private (password only) I'm really glad I didn't.