Sunday, August 6, 2017

#52stories - Goals & Achievements

My Sunday School lesson today was on the blessings of keeping a personal journal.  For a time, this blog was my journal so I am determined to resurrect my motivation to keep a personal journal.  My goal is to write every Sunday afternoon (at least).  In preparing for the lesson, I came across the #52stories movement on familysearch.org.  They provided 12 questions under 12 different topics for people to write about to create a personal history.  I love the writing prompts and encourage anyone who has talked about writing their personal history and hasn't gotten around to it to check it out. 
The question I have chosen to answer today is: "What is your earliest memory of feeling proud of yourself?"

I remember being an indifferent student at school during the primary years.  I wanted to be liked but didn't care much about being good at school. I went to Kindergarten and first grade in Bountiful, Utah.  I don't remember the name of the school, but I would bet that Diane Jensen does. By third grade I had begun to realize that I had the ability to be a good student.  I remember feeling very good about getting good grades. I had also discovered that I liked to learn new things.  I had moved to Lake Tahoe by then.  I was attending Zephyr Cove Elementary School.  I don't remember all of my teachers but my sixth grade teacher was Mr. Barsness.  He was an encouraging teacher with a great sense of humor. He used to trade all of the silver dollars for paper ones when we paid for our lunches.  He put the silver dollars in a coffee can until he had enough to buy a new radio.  We were all anxiously watching the process and waiting for the new radio.  Finally he had enough money and he bought this shiny new radio.  First thing in the morning he caught all of our attention and turned it on.  In those days radio's had to be tuned with a knob.  All we heard was static until he began to turn the little knob.  Then, clear as day the words "
Jockey Underwear" came singing from the speakers.  We laughed so hard that some kids fell out of their seats.  Mr. Barsness put his head down on his desk and laughed so hard that the blond hair on his scalp turned pink as his scalp turned bright red!
I am 3rd from the right on the front row.

No comments: