Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A State of Well Being

I sleep with someone who likes to watch television at night, all night.  I often wake to some interesting infomercials...  This morning's infomercial was all about how to have "rock hard abs".  Never a good wake up call, but it did have an effect.  After I turned off the unrealistic, unproven promises that insult my intelligence even as they offend my self-image I lay quietly thinking about how much I really need to get my body moving again.  When my arthritis was diagnosed I could barely move enough to get to and from the daily activities that are required of me.  Everyone told me that exercising would make it better but every time I tried I'd have another flare up and spend a day or 2 in bed (this was something far beyond sore muscles) and then require higher doses of steroids to get moving again. Which the doctor warned me is a bad thing. So I got far, far out of the habit of getting moving.  Anyway, in January the doc increased my medication, again, and as I was pondering the exercise situation this morning I realized that I have not had even one flare up this winter. SO, that makes it time.  Two years ago I took a class at the YMCA that was a combination of yoga, tai chi, and pilates.  I loved it...and hated it.  I loved the low impact, stretching, and whole body-mind approach.  I hated being part of  a class (oooh people watching) when my body is so well cushioned and inflexible that I was unable to do most of the routines and some of it was SERIOUSLY painful on the joints.  So guess what?  Netflix has a yoga video called "Healing Yoga"  I got out of bed this morning and did the whole routine!  This brings me to the title of today's blog.  This was a really wimpy routine.  I could do ALL of it and it felt great.  Nothing hurt and I went to work feeling energized instead of wiped out. I even felt like I could think more clearly. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow morning.  Okay, I realize I'm rambling and I feel a little sheepish about this whole entry but I'm posting it anyway.  My purpose is to record the events of my life.  This feels like an event that I'd like to preserve.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I think it's great that you got up and did it. Sometimes easier is better because it feels good to be able to complete it. If you start too hard it's easy to get discouraged and give up. Keep it up, I know you'll feel great!

Kristen said...

Good job Jan... will Monte go with you? I know that I didn't lose the baby weight until Benjy did it along with me. It's so much easier to stay motivated with a partner. A group of us recently had success losing weight and exercising. If you're interested I can email you some of the info. I hope you don't get too sore after today. The second day after is the worst!