Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Favorite People and Unsung Heroes

Awhile ago I blogged about mothers and I left a few people out. I need to talk just a little about one of the great blessings in my life. I am blessed with several mothers. The lady in the picture is my father's wife, Diane. Technically she is my "step-mom" and I always refer to her as Diane instead of Mom. This is to avoid confusion not because I don't consider her my mom - she is. A mom is someone who takes care of you, rejoices with you, worries about you, knows when you are hurting, forgives you when you are obnoxious, and most of all teaches you. These are all things Diane has done for me. Diane is a "kindred heart" for me because we share many common interests. She taught me to sew and to love it. She loves to read, like I do, and we often share favorite authors. Diane is the one who makes sure I get family history info and pictures. Think about what a great blessing it is for me to know that my children live within a 30 minute drive of 2 grandmothers and one grandfather who would do just about anything for them if they were in need of help. We are all a pretty independent lot and sometimes don't call or see each other for months at a time but my dad and mom in Bountiful are always understanding. If you are reading this, Diane, thanks, and I love you.

I titled this blog favorite people and unsung heroes, so I'm not finished yet with people who should be recognized and frequently aren't - mothers-in-law. Like step-parents, mothers-in-law get a raw deal. I've been blessed with 2 genuine precious gems. I'll begin with Monte's mother, my current mother in law. Anna Mae has the sweetest, most generous heart of anyone I know. She is the matriarch of a family of headstrong, opinionated, amazing people. One thing that will never be in short supply at an Oelkers family gathering and that is different points of view. Anna Mae binds it all together. It takes confidence and competence to be a part of the Oelkers family. Maybe some of that came from Monte's dad but I have to say that Anna Mae has taught these people to know their own value and to share it with others. Anna's my mom, too. But best of all I consider her my friend. I could hope as much for my daughter and son-in-law.

Last in the "mom" lineup I'll recognize my first mother-in-law. I was 18 when I married my first husband and I was probably a real pain as a daughter-in-law. I cringe when I remember what a moody, anti-social little turd I could be. Wanza was REALLY patient with me, even when we moved in with her for 5 months! Wanza was always close by. She was the kind of person I could feel comfortable asking for advice and she gave it straight from the hip without any judgement. She taught me to love flowers because she had a beautiful garden in a postage stamp sized lot. Wanza passed away a few years ago. I hadn't seen her or spoken to her for years but I still think about her sometimes. She is missed.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm also really thankful for my mothers. Having such great women as examples to me gives me hope that I can be a great mother someday.